D as first class language in the gcc milestones ?

ketmar via D.gnu d.gnu at puremagic.com
Sun Sep 28 19:57:45 PDT 2014

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 14:50:25 +0200
"Leandro Lucarella via D.gnu" <d.gnu at puremagic.com> wrote:

> I'm sorry, but at least the Sociomantic example is not a good one to
> defend your point.
ok, two companies. ;-) it still beats "noone".

> GCC releases more or less every year a new minor version. I think
> introducing new feature *just* once a year is super acceptable. Then,
> they do a patchlevel release more or less once every 5 months.
but gcc package maintainers are not so fast. i still see gcc 4.9.0 on
some distros, with it's known bug that makes ffmpeg flac decoder
unusable, for example. ah, even gcc 4.8, 'cause "it's proven to be
stable and we know it's bugs".

> And then you have Python, which has an history of providing a super
> stable language that evolves continuously.
especially Python3. and i seen real life examples of software that works
with python2.5, but not with python2.7.

> You got it all wrong. DMD is a compiler implementation and I didn't
> see anyone here suggesting to tie DMD releases to GCC releases in any
> way. What they are asking for is having GDC merged in GCC, that's all.
no, i'm not wrong. i'm talking about GDC, not about DMD. yes, svn
version of GDC can get all the freshy fixes and enhancements, but
people will use the version that comes with their distro. the old one.

when GDC is not tied to GCC, maintaner can build GDC with new GCC
backend, for example, and this will not force to upgrade to new GCC (my
GDC is completely independed of my GCC, for example). and GDC maintainer
can release packages when new GDC is ready, not when the whole new GCC
is ready.

> > i once dreamt about GDC as part of GCC, but i changed my mind.
> You should keep dreaming :)
nonononono. ;-) GDC is my primary D compiler, yet i don't want it to be
the part of GCC.

what i really want is GDC which is synced with current DMD, but this is
another story. ;-)