why no ld.exe in 2.066.1 Windows builds?

Ivan Kazmenko via D.gnu d.gnu at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 13 01:44:25 PDT 2015

On Monday, 13 April 2015 at 07:50:10 UTC, Johannes Pfau wrote:
> Seems like something went wrong when updating the build
> scripts. I'll
> have a look later today and upload updated releases.

Thanks, looking forward to it.

> BTW: Did you use older windows releases? As windows support is
> mostly
> untested I was always wondering if anybody uses windows
> releases at
> all ;-)

Rather, I toyed with the previous release a bit: simple programs
(hello world) compiled and worked, while some of the more complex
ones (a few hundred lines) had problems, which is when I switched
back to dmd for them and did not investigate further.

Right now, I tried the previous (2.065 frontend, gcc 4.9.0
backend) release and reduced one problem to that readf(" ")
crashes when it encounters end-of-file:
-----
import std.stdio;
void main() {readf(" ");}
-----
Give it an empty file, and it crashes.  Only 32-bit version,
64-bit version works fine.  DMD also works fine.

After working around that, an 150-ish-line program compiled fine
and worked comparably to dmd.  Though surprisingly, it performed
a bit slower with "-O3 -march=native -frelease".

Reading "some stuff, then a whitespace" with readf is useful to
put the cursor at the next non-whitespace character.  This does
not seem to be documented for D (an implementation detail? worth
raising a documentation issue?), but works for dmd's readf and
for C's scanf (http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/cstdio/scanf/).

Ivan Kazmenko.