DMD and GDC static libraries are incompatible on Linux?

ketmar via D.gnu d.gnu at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 9 10:56:44 PST 2015

On Mon, 09 Feb 2015 17:56:53 +0000, Jeremy DeHaan wrote:

> I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this, however I just wanted
> to ask to make sure.
>
> I was talking with someone the other day. They were using Linux and
> tried to link static libraries built with DMD during a build with GDC. I
> thought this would work due to both DMD and GDC using GCC on Linux, but
> GDC wouldn't find any of the symbols in the DMD static libraries. Is
> this normal?

DMD is not using GCC, only 'ld' from binutils. so yes, this is normal.
actually, you can't expect this to work, as object code representation is
not specified by the language, and generated code too. mixing compiled
libraries from dmd and gdc can have alot of unexpected effects, 'cause
even runtime is not similar.