Embedded D, top down?

Henri Sundelin via D.gnu d.gnu at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 17 14:07:37 PST 2015

Hello folks,

I'm trying to evaluate a possibility to use D for an embedded
case. We want to use the same application base from the high end
to the low end. In this case high end means full Linux server,
and low end must be a single chip solution, with no OS. Processor
families may vary, only thing certain is GCC backend.

High end side is obviously a no brainer, but the low end stuff is
a big question. We do have a requirement for OO programming and
design by contract pre/postconditions etc. OO requirement is
actually not too heavy, models are not dynamic or complicated,
but are suitable for embedded in "object-based" sense what Ada83
talked about in the olden days..

I've been trying to find what has been done in the D embedded
area so far, and the issue turns always to the runtime itself.
However I've not been able to find complete runtimes meant for
embedded applications, just either full-blown or just bare-bones
minimum stuff.

My big question is:
- is there any suitable runtime currently available for embedded?
- How much RAM would be needed for such runtime in real life?

So if anyone is working on these fronts, I'd appreciate any
input..:)

//Henri