[Testing] Using Travis CI (or better alternative) for master/branch/PR testing

Marko Anastasov via D.gnu d.gnu at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 23 09:40:49 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 23 June 2015 at 14:57:55 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> On 23 June 2015 at 12:31, Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw at gdcproject.org>
> wrote:
>> On 23 June 2015 at 10:15, Marko Anastasov via D.gnu
>> <d.gnu at puremagic.com> wrote:

>>> Hi Iain,
>>>
>>> Semaphore cofounder here. The first point is correct, however
>>> the 60 minute limit applies to single build commands, not the
>>> entire build. If you can compose your build of n commands,
>>> each < 60 minutes, it'll be fine.
>>>
>>> I invite you to give Semaphore a try. We'd love your
>>> feedback. And I'm here for any questions you may have. :)
>>>

>> Hi Marko,
>>
>> Thanks for the update.  Yes, each command step is easily done
>> in 20 minutes.  I just have a few questions which I couldn't
>> find answers for in the documentation.
>>

> OK, I went ahead and tried it out anyway, and was surprised to
> find that everything went smoothly on the first (proper) build!
>  So I send out my kudos to Marko on the ease of use (once I got
> around how the interface works).

I’m very happy to hear that — thanks!

I’ll reply to your earlier questions below.

> 1. What kind of storage and memory quotas are in-place on the
> build environment?

4GB of storage is fine. Currently we have a ~4GB soft limit on
RAM, going over that would notify us and we’d discuss it with you
directly.

> 2. Is the absence of any logging also taken into consideration
> when timing out builds?

No.

> 3. How are caches in Semaphore stored?  Is there a size limit
> for files in cache?  Do they expire?

You can consider them to be on the same local network where the
machine running your build is. There’s a special
`.semaphore-cache` directory which you can use to store arbitrary
files:

https://semaphoreci.com/docs/caching-between-builds.html

Cache hit is not yet 99% but it’s our goal to reach it.

Cheers,
Marko