(Probably trivial) arm-none-eabi-gdc building problem

Timo Sintonen via D.gnu d.gnu at puremagic.com
Sat May 30 12:58:04 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 30 May 2015 at 16:55:14 UTC, denizzzka wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am tried to use step-by-step instructions from wiki
> (http://wiki.dlang.org/Bare_Metal_ARM_Cortex-M_GDC_Cross_Compiler)
> to build toolchain on Debian GNU/Linux 8 and got this error
> after execute "make -j4 all-target-libgcc":

I did not read the whole thing but this:

> checking for suffix of object files... configure: error: in
> `/home/denizzz/dembed/arm-none-eabi-gdc/gcc-build/arm-none-eabi/libgcc':
> configure: error: cannot compute suffix of object files: cannot
> compile
> See `config.log' for more details.

may mean that target binutils are not installed or not found
(arm-none-eabi-asm arm-none-eabi-ld etc)
Another reason may be wrong configuration options that cause the
intermediate compiler fail.
The error message is a bit misleading. It means that something we
just built does not run or does not find all it needs.

Also I have found several times that using -j4 may be too much.
One of the jobs may run too fast and does not find something the
other jobs have not build yet. Using -j2 has always worked for me.