versions for thumb and thumb-2 instruction sets

Dan Olson via D.gnu d.gnu at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 10 09:03:35 PST 2016

Mike <none at none.com> writes:
> I think to do this properly with ARM you need to consider the ARM
> architecture (ARMv6, ARMv7, ARMv7-A, ARMv7-M, etc..) AND the
> instruction set (ARM or ARM_Thumb).  I read it somewhere, but I'm
> having trouble finding it again.
>
> Anyway, used in conjunction with the architecture, I believe only one
> ARM_Thumb identifier is needed.
>
> It also appears that, with the introduction of AArch64, ARM is trying
> to transition this nomenclature to A32 (ARM), T32 (Thumb), A64 (64-bit
> ARM?).  See
> http://www.arm.com/products/processors/instruction-set-architectures/
>
> Mike

You are right.  I noticed that even thumb-1 has different instruction
set based on arm architecture.  Now that I think about it and
considering Timo's comment that we won't find many thumb-1 devices, it
probably doesn't make sense polluting D with versions that no one will
use (except me).  Probably best approach for me is to just define
ARM_Thumb1 on the command line for my current project.
--
Dan