Packaging GDC

Marc Schütz via D.gnu d.gnu at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 18 11:58:59 PST 2016

On Monday, 18 January 2016 at 14:31:03 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> However if you do use the same base GCC version as existing
> distro gcc there is no need to package common stuff like cc1
> (it would conflict) - you can only package D additions and
> specify system gcc package as dependency.

Ok, I guess I will have to use the same GCC versions as the base
distro, and try to match their configuration as closely as
possible, to avoid incompatibilities.

> This is what I do on Arch Linux:
> https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/tree/trunk?h=packages/gdc (see PKGBUILD for bash script which builds/packages stuff)
>
> As you can see actual GDC essentials come down to this:
>
> install -D -m755 $srcdir/gcc-build/gcc/gdc $pkgdir/usr/bin/gdc
> install -D -m755 $srcdir/gcc-build/gcc/cc1d
> $pkgdir/usr/lib/gcc/$CHOST/$pkgver/cc1d
> install -D -m755 $srcdir/GDMD/dmd-script $pkgdir/usr/bin/gdmd
>
> # + copy/install libphobos2.a and all runtime/phobos modules

Thanks for this! That's actually a nice idea not to call `make
install`, but instead package the compiled files directly. I'll
have to try this, should make things a bit easier compared to
deleting all the unwanted files.