GDMD D port ready for alpha-testing

Johannes Pfau via D.gnu d.gnu at puremagic.com
Sun Mar 27 09:55:18 PDT 2016

Am Sun, 27 Mar 2016 13:36:19 +0200
schrieb Johannes Pfau <nospam at example.com>:

> Am Sun, 27 Mar 2016 04:25:27 +0000
> schrieb Basile B. <b2.temp at gmx.com>:
>
> > On Saturday, 26 March 2016 at 10:09:10 UTC, Johannes Pfau wrote:
> > > I've finally finished the D port of GDMD and pushed everything
> > > including a detailed README to
> > > https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/GDMD/tree/dport
> > >
> > > All parameters are tested for simple cases but in complex
> > > combinations there could still be some unknown bugs.
> >
> > Good news. I'll follow the project.
> >
> > Small bug: gdmd is looking for "ar" instead of "gcc-ar", so after
> > a renaming it was OK with a simple CE project. (linux x86_64 and
> > latest stable gdc)
>
> This is actually the first time I heard about gcc-ar...
> But it seems using gcc-ar is indeed better:
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man1/aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc-ar-4.7.1.html
>
> Thanks for reporting this!

Turns out gcc-ar will not work if binutils was built without
plugin support. So I've reverted that change and GDMD will have to use
ar instead.

There was a unrelated problem on windows where the '.exe' extension was
not appended when searching ar. This should be fixed. There's still the
problem that ar is only available as 'ar' with the windows binary
toolchains. So if you use gdmd -gdc=gdc it will find ar, but if you
use gdmd -gdc=x86_64-w64-mingw32-gdc it will search for
x86_64-w64-mingw32-ar and won't find it.