version?

Iain Buclaw via D.gnu d.gnu at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 21 01:59:27 PST 2017

On 21 February 2017 at 10:48, John Colvin via D.gnu <d.gnu at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Monday, 20 February 2017 at 17:00:48 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>>
>> The next gcc release ought to be an interesting experiment for the
>> community, as although the version is still set to 2068, gdc has now
>> diverged so far from the last C++ sources that it is anything but. I'll
>> probably bump it to whatever version of phobos it can compile. :-)
>

> Is there a possibility that gdc will continue to diverge? I don't
> necessarily think that's a bad thing, if upstream features can be
> implemented in a timely manner (that's a big "if" though).

Initially, the plan is to be aligned with stable branch in terms of
sharing common C++ headers, then aligning any changes that alter the
code generator.

The idea being that this will allow transition between C++ and D
implementations to be seamless (no backend changes required).  We'll
keep it in this state until a time when we are ready to switch.

My plan is that when the switch happens, we'll just continue to be in
sync with stable, rather than a given release.