Set-up Buildbot for GDC

Johannes Pfau via D.gnu d.gnu at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 4 14:05:23 PDT 2017

Am Tue, 4 Jul 2017 20:42:52 +0200
schrieb "Iain Buclaw via D.gnu" <d.gnu at puremagic.com>:

> How do these look?
>
> https://www.scaleway.com/armv8-cloud-servers/
>
> They also have ARMv7's too, I'm currently paying around 18€ a month
> for the current linode box - 50G SSD, 4G memory, 2x cores.  For the
> same price, could order the following kit for use as build workers.
>
> ARMv8: 50G SSD, 2G memory, 4x cores.  (aarch64 native)
> ARMv7: 50G SSD, 2G memory, 4x cores.  (arm native)
> x86_64: 100G SSD, 4G memory, 4x cores. (all cross compilers)

The ARMs look good. I'm not sure about the X86_64: The 'VPS' are
'shared' but I haven't found any information what exactly they share
(shared cores?). Additionally some 2016 reports say the VPS use
Intel Atom cores and only the more expensive 'Bare Metal' plans use Xeon
Cores. I haven't found any official information on the homepage though
so we might have to ask or just try and check available CPU
resources / build speed.

> Yep, as this is dockerized, anyone can build + debug locally.  This
> the patches should be fixed asap.  Also, if you look at the runtests
> (skipping over the unresolved bits), you'll see that a few of them
> ICE.  I've noticed this for aarch64, maybe others do the same.  This
> is another thing that should be investigated and fixed.
>
> In other words, I would like to get all of them green, but only have
> so much time. I better start by filtering out the noise first. :-)

I'll try to setup a local builder for debugging later this week or next
weekend and see if I can reduce some bugs.

> > BTW: Do you know if there's any way to cluster builds by branch on
> > the buildbot main page? I haven't gotten that far in the docs
> > yet ;-)
>
> Doesn't look like it.
>
> https://github.com/buildbot/buildbot/blob/0d44f0344ff82b707d02c75871df23c5f6b9cb8f/www/base/src/app/home/home.tpl.jade#L18-L24

OK, then this is something to look into (a lot) later. I guess buildbot
should allow setting up custom sub pages so there's likely some way to
implement a per-branch overview.

-- Johannes