Iteration on UTF/UNICODE characters

Danny Arends Danny.Arends at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 10:17:59 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 11 September 2018 at 09:32:51 UTC, Eugene Wissner
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 11 September 2018 at 08:54:33 UTC, Danny Arends
> wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I am building a font glyph atlas for 2D and 3D rendering using
>> the following code:
>>
>> dchar c = '\u0000';
>> while (c <= '\U0000FFFF') {
>>   if(isValidDchar(c)){
>>     # Code working on the char
>>   }
>> }
>>
>> This compiles, and works as expected using DMD, and LDC2.
>>
>> However when I try and build the code using GDC, it gives me
>> the following error:
>>
>> src/font.d:95:15: error: invalid UTF character \U0000FFFF
>>
>> Any thoughts on why this is happening in GDC, since it works
>> in DMD and LDC2 ?
>> And any idea how to fix this ?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Danny
>
> What GDC version?
>
> void main()
> {
>     dchar c = '\u0000';
>     while (c <= '\U0000FFFF') {
>     }
> }
>
> compiles here with gdc (GDC 2.081.2) 8.2.0

I am using the GDC2 compiler from the Ubuntu Repository (I guess
this is a really old version of gdc)

gdc --version

   gdc (Ubuntu 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.10) 5.4.0 20160609

Guess I will have to manually install the latest version, I was
hoping to be able to use the version in the Ubuntu packages, to
have the requirements for the program be:

apt install gdc

I will try to use the newest version, see if it can compile the
code

Thanks,
Danny