GDCs emitted code is crazy fast

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at gdcproject.org
Mon Aug 19 11:02:20 UTC 2019

On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 at 05:50, James Blachly via D.gnu
<d.gnu at puremagic.com> wrote:

> I got around to finally compiling my project (processing high throughput
> sequencing data) and found GDC compiled code executed TWICE as fast as
> LDC compiled code, which itself was faster than DMD. I am truly surprised.
>
> Can't test all my code yet as GDC 8.3.0 doesn't include support for
> assoc array require. I hope that there are plans for convenient binary
> installs (rather than through package managers which tend to be
> outdated, and cannot be installed on managed systems) as there are with
> DMD and LDC.
>
> Kudos to the GDC team.

The require template is in gdc-9.  Future releases should hopefully
follow closely to dmd, we'll wait to see if this can be done for
gcc-10 as am currently blocked on upstream dmd breakages that are
being slow to get turned around.

The releases of gcc itself are typically in the first week of May, and
dmd releases on the 1st every three months, one them being May, to
give an idea of what version is anticipated for gcc-10 and future
releases, the latest release will never be older than 12 months
behind.

--
Iain