How to install recent version on linux?

Eugene Wissner belka at caraus.de
Fri May 3 19:32:03 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 2 May 2019 at 21:08:33 UTC, James Blachly wrote:
> Apologies, but the website is extremely outdated, and I cannot
> find reliable, specific instructions on how to install  recent
> GDC on linux.
>
> Distribution packages are often quite behind. For example,
> Ubuntu 16LTS which we are still on at work max out at GDC 5.
>
> LDC is a tarball. Is there a similarly straightforward way to
> install GDC? If not, is this because we are constrained by
> system-available GCC version?
>
> Thanks all for your help.

I fear, it is not that straightforward currently, but anyway
possible with some excercise.
Slackware 14.2, I'm using, ships GCC5 as well; but I've built GCC
8 with D and installed it in /opt/gdc.

I've built binaries for GCC 7 with D 2.081.2 for Ubuntu 18.04
some time ago:
https://forum.dlang.org/post/ofowhrbeibuonqlkhgxa@forum.dlang.org

For building from source you can look at my Slackware build
scripts (it is plain Shell):
https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/development/gcc-d/
https://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/14.2/development/gcc-d/gcc-d.SlackBuild

I hope I can provide some more binaries this time as soon as I
finish my work on 2.086 (probably for 2.086.1).