Is GDC a solid option versus LDC?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Mar 4 17:13:23 UTC 2022

On Fri, Mar 04, 2022 at 03:52:10PM +0000, rempas via D.gnu wrote:
> On Friday, 4 March 2022 at 15:26:38 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
[...]
> > The only difference is that GDC, being a part of the GCC project, is
> > tied to the GCC release cycle, so it tends to lag behind DMD and LDC
> > in terms of the latest language developments.
[...]
> Thank you! I was wondering, Is staying so much up to date really
> impossible here? Other than ImportC (which will still be completed at
> some point), D has already support for 1 million features already so
> will this be a big problem? I see this becoming a smaller problem with
> each release.

As I said, if you're not relying on the latest-and-greatest bleeding
edge, GDC is a perfectly fine compiler. Iain has already said the next
release will be self-hosting, so we can finally move on from the ancient
C++-based compiler to the latest self-hosted one. Once that's done, GDC
should keep up with language developments at a much better pace than
before.

People say I'm indecisive, but I'm not sure about that. -- YHL, CONLANG