Should gdmd be included with gdc?

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at gdcproject.org
Tue May 24 10:32:14 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 24 May 2022 at 08:22:30 UTC, Chris Piker wrote:
> Hi GDC
>
> Attempting to use meson I found that I probably need dub, but
> building dub requires dmd command line emulation. The external
> gdmd perl script to handles this course, but should there be a
> gdmd binary that is built while producing gdc?  Pulling in a
> whole extra language interpreter seems like a big dependency
> when bootstrapping the toolchain.
>
> On the other hand, maybe dub's build.d should be updated to
> understand native gdc command lines, not sure which option is
> best.

There have been a few attempts to rewrite it in D, all have
stalled really due to whoever took the initiative running out of
time or moving onto other things.

https://github.com/d-Programming-GDC/gdmd/tree/dport
https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/gdmd/tree/gdmd-neo

I think the best route to go may be to just pick one and run with
it, then push it into a dtools or gdctools directory on the gcc
tree.