Writing a GCC Front End with D!

Mahdis ubuntulove74 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 13:19:27 UTC 2024

Hi,

I have a question about the possibility of developing a new
frontend language for GIMPLE in GCC using D instead of C++.

I'm interested in exploring this possibility because D offers
several advantages over C++, including:

1. Memory safety: D's garbage collector eliminates the need for
manual memory management, which can help to prevent common errors
such as memory leaks and dangling pointers.
2.Expressiveness: D's syntax is more concise and expressive than
C++'s, which can make code easier to read, write, and maintain.
3. Modern features: D supports many modern programming features,
such as generics, templates, and metaprogramming, which can be
used to write more powerful and flexible code.

I believe that developing a new frontend language for GIMPLE in D
would be a valuable contribution to the GCC project. It would
allow developers to take advantage of D's many benefits while
still using GCC's powerful optimization and code generation
capabilities.

I would be grateful for any information you can provide about the
feasibility of this project. Thank you for your time and
consideration.
Considering that I have no knowledge in this field, I would like
to know if there are any limitations in this field.

Sincerely,

Mahdis