Yet another effort at translating the Win32 API headers

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 4 04:44:58 PDT 2006

jcc7 wrote:
> In article <e0rfim$145j$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Stewart Gordon says...
>> J C Calvarese wrote:
>>> In article <e0n1kg$14b8$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Stewart Gordon says...
>> <snip>
>>> There's a simple purpose for version(STANDALONE), but it might be controversial.
>> The real problem is that nobody seems to know what that simple purpose is.
>
> Firstly, I thought I answered your question about this back in 2005.
>
> Your question:
> http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?digitalmars.D/15262
<snip>

Sorry I'd half forgotten about that thread.  But it certainly ought to
be in project documentation and not just one or two newsgroup posts.

> But I'll try to do a better job of explaining...
>
> *What does version(STANDALONE) do?*
>
> Core32 is meant to complement Phobos.
>
> If someone doesn't want to import std.c.windows.windows, they would compile with
> the version=STANDALONE set.
>
> The default (compiling without the STANDALONE version set) has many of the
> conflicts with Phobos versioned out.

I see.  So there's a difference in purpose between the two efforts.
Mine is intended to be a full translation of the Windows API headers
that might one day be able to replace std.c.windows.windows.

<snip>
> Your new Windows API project seems to be gaining momentum. If it continues to be
> productive, I don't have an interest in competing. I'd rather occasionally help
> out with the new team than continue to spend time with Core32.

OK.

<snip>
> Actually, what Don is doing in the Bindings project is probably the best
> solution until you get your SVN problem solved (assuming there is a fix).

I'm not sure what you mean.  By "what Don is doing" do you mean
committing updates to that project on my behalf?

Stewart.

--

My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox.  Please keep replies on
the 'group where everyone may benefit.