On processors for D (Was: Re: std.date proposal)

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at nospam.org
Tue Apr 4 05:49:58 PDT 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> Double has another problem when used as a date - there are embedded
> processors in wide use that don't have floating point hardware. This
> means that double shouldn't be used in core routines that are not
> implicitly related to doing floating point calculations.

Ignoring the issue of date, I have a comment on processors:

IIRC, D will never be found on a processor less than 32 bits. Further,
it may take some time before D actually gets used in something embedded.

By that time, IMHO, it is unlikely that a 32b processor would not
contain a math unit.

---

Of course this may warrant a discussion here, which is good, because
then we might end up with a more clear set of goals, both for library
development and for D itself.