On processors for D

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at nospam.org
Fri Apr 7 00:30:53 PDT 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> Georg Wrede wrote:
>
>> Uh-oh, after having read what Kris and others have posted as
>> replies to your post, I can't push D for embedded development. At
>> least until the issues they've brought up are resolved.
>

> Which particular issue?

Well,

> For what it's worth, the D spec doesn't require any of the behavior
> Kris has been talking about.  I'd consider most of it specific to the
> DMD implementation.
>
> Sean

when Sean pointed this out, those issues of mine vanished, Poof!

Since DMD is Win+Lin _only_ (IIUC), none of the embedded woes apply.
It's happened to me before, too, that I forget that DMD is not the same
as the D spec. And that Phobos is not part of the spec.

So, actually, any discussions about embedded systems belong to D.gnu
instead.

---

Still, I do agree with Kris on separation of concern, clear and
consistent compartmentalization of dependencies, low level dependencies
on high level code, modularization, etc., in Phobos.

Not addressing those issues, at least makes it harder to maintain and
develop Phobos in the long run. IMHO.