On processors for D

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Fri Apr 7 12:55:29 PDT 2006

Sean Kelly wrote:
> Fredrik Olsson wrote:
>> And besides, is it wise to depend on what a linker "should do"? If
>> current build chain nicely throws out what is not needed, does that
>> make it right to assume that all build chains should behave as such?
>
> I think this is a reasonable assumption, as to do otherwise necessitates
> design compromises to keep modules as small and isolated as possible.
> And while this may be reasonable for small projects, I can't see it
> working very well for large ones.

This capability of linkers (eliminating unreferenced functions) first
appeared in the late 80's, and quickly became standard practice. If
you've got a linker that doesn't support that, you're likely to have
many other serious problems with it, as D (and C++) depend on other
linker features introduced in the late 80's.

D doesn't require anything of a linker that C++ doesn't already
realistically require.