On processors for D ~ decoupling

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Sat Apr 8 02:10:24 PDT 2006

Thomas Kuehne wrote:
> Walter Bright schrieb am 2006-04-08:
>> Right, I typo'd it. However, --gc-sections doesn't work on my system -
>> everything is still linked in. But it does on yours - not all of
>> std.string is linked in?
>
> Correct

This is good news. The documentation on --gc-sections is pretty sparse,
I wasn't sure it was intended to do that, and it does nothing on my system.

> $ ld --version
> GNU ld version 2.16.1

I'm using ld 2.13. The release notes say that --gc-sections works for
it, but I guess it doesn't actually :-(. Anyhow, it is good news that it
is working on your system. I'll modify dmd to pass the --gc-sections
command through to the linker, and I'll not worry about older ld's
ignoring the switch.

Thanks for helping out with this.