Xgl, wow!

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Sat Apr 8 11:00:47 PDT 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> Georg Wrede wrote:
>> But, it's cool, sure. Still, I wonder if anybody over 30 finds it
>> useful at work.
>
> I doubt it (I'm well over 30 <g>). What's a real productivity booster
> for me is bigger screens, more pixels. Sharper fonts are better, too.
>
> I couldn't care less about special effects on the UI.

Same here.  In fact, they tend to slow me down, as animations take time
to execute, consume resources, etc.  That said, OSX has some fairly neat
window management and layout features where you can "zoom out" on your
desktop and then "zoom in" in different ways.  I also love OpenGL in a
window.  But the rest I disable or ignore.

> If Microsoft wants my Vista $$, the feature I want is to not be able to
> surreptitiously install a rootkit. Oh, and a way to reinstall the
> operating system (when it does get rootkitted anyway) without
> reinstalling all my apps.
>
> Because of the rootkit problem, I've resigned myself to not only do
> regular backups, but regular reinstalls of Windows, whether or not there
> are any symptoms of a rootkit.

It's a good idea.  I only wish it were easier to do so.  As it is, a
reinstall would take me a full day to complete, and I'd still lose some
application preferences I'd have to re-enter manually (Visual Studio
settings, for example).

I'm beginning to think that XP will be my last Windows OS.  There's
little in Vista that interests me, and the massive resource requirement
and DRM features are a substantial disincentive to upgrade.  About the
only reason I would do so is, once again, if there are games I'd like to
play that require it.  And if that comes to pass it will be on a PC or
partition dedicated to gaming.

Sean