DMD 0.153 release

Derek Parnell derek at psych.ward
Mon Apr 10 18:43:28 PDT 2006

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 18:25:49 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:

> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
>> "Walter Bright" <newshound at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
>> news:e1egd4$flk$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
>>> Bug fixes.
>>>
>>> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/changelog.html
>>
>> And what's this _smart linking_ that's so important as to be required to be
>> in italics?  ;)
>>
>> Something big coming soon for D?
>
> Naw. "smart linking" is a marketing term that appeared in the 1980's
> that refers to the linker discarding unreferenced code sections. Since
> it's a bit of jargon, I italicized it. Optlink has been doing it for 15+
> years, ld only recently.

Is a 'code section' equivalent to a D module? In other words, if I have
three D modules, each one is in its own unique code section. And thus if
I'm not referencing anything in one of those modules and I include the
module.obj in the command line, the linker will discard that module from
the resulting executable file?

Or is 'code section' more finely grained than that, say down to the
function level?

--
Derek
(skype: derek.j.parnell)