DMD 0.154 release

jcc7 jcc7_member at pathlink.com
Wed Apr 12 13:15:50 PDT 2006

In article <e1jjka$649$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...

>pragma wrote:
>> In article <e1jeql$2vcl$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...
>>> Had to do an update since --gc-sections broke exception handling.
>>>
>>> Also, 'I' and 'l' integer suffixes are deprecated, because in many fonts
>>> they are indistinguishable from each other and from '1'.
>>>
>>> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/changelog.html
>>
>> You're not kidding.  I found it somewhat humorous that the linked page exhibits
>> the very problem you're citing:
>>
>> * Numeric suffix '|' now deprecated, use 'L' instead.
>> * Floating point suffix '|' now deprecated, use 'i' instead.
>
>Yup. I got this idea from the JSF document on C++ coding standards. I've
>also wondered about disallowing single letter declarations when those
>letters are lower case l, upper case I, or upper case O, or if that is
>going too far.

That'd be going too far. When I'm programming, I use a font that lets me see
what I'm typing. I don't write programs in Arial or whichever font makes those
all look the same.

Similarly, D allows people to use Chinese characters as variables that might
show up as blocks or question marks in my favorite font, but that's my problem.
If my font can't display their code, it's my responsibility to use a suitable
font. It's not the language's job to make all programs clearly visible in all
fonts.

jcc7