DMD 0.154 release

Georg Wrede georg at nospam.org
Thu Apr 13 17:41:30 PDT 2006

Kyle Furlong wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> pragma wrote:
>>
>>> In article <e1jeql$2vcl$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...

>>> You're not kidding.  I found it somewhat humorous that the linked
>>> page exhibits
>>> the very problem you're citing:
>>>
>>> * Numeric suffix '|' now deprecated, use 'L' instead.
>>> * Floating point suffix '|' now deprecated, use 'i' instead.
>>
>> Yup. I got this idea from the JSF document on C++ coding standards.
>> I've also wondered about disallowing single letter declarations when
>> those letters are lower case l, upper case I, or upper case O, or if
>> that is going too far.
>
> That seems to me to be going too far. Let a style guide do that work,
> that is

Let's put it this way: if a programmer insists on using a font where l,
I, 1, O, 0, etc. have the slightest chance of looking like each other,
then that programmer is not one we'd want in the D community.

I promised Derek to not put down a certain programming language, but
let's just say, that anyone with a history of C (or C++), can't in their
worst nightmares, imagine using a font that doesn't make a difference
between 0, O, 1, l, I,,, etc.

Having said that, I don't have a specific opinion about what Walter was
thinking of.