DMD 0.154 release

Derek Parnell derek at psych.ward
Fri Apr 14 06:44:44 PDT 2006

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 20:45:00 +1000, Bruno Medeiros
<brunodomedeirosATgmail at SPAM.com> wrote:

> Derek Parnell wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 10:41:30 +1000, Georg Wrede <georg at nospam.org>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Let's put it this way: if a programmer insists on using a font where
>>> l, I, 1, O, 0, etc. have the slightest chance of looking like each
>>> other, then that programmer is not one we'd want in the D community.
>>>
>>> I promised Derek to not put down a certain programming language, but
>>> let's just say, that anyone with a history of C (or C++), can't in
>>> their worst nightmares, imagine using a font that doesn't make a
>>> difference between 0, O, 1, l, I,,, etc.
>>  ROTFLOL ... I went so far as to create a variety of Courier that
>> changed the lowercase L to look like the lowercase T (t) but without
>> the bar, and put a dot inside the Zero glyph to make it
>> distinguishable. If anyone wants it just let me know.
>>  --Derek Parnell
>> Melbourne, Australia
>
> Huh? Doesn't Courier New already distinguishes between the two?
> ilIL0O -> all look different.

To me, the lowercase L and digit one (l1) were too similar, and the
uppercase O and zero were also too similar. I also made the vertical bar
glyph more distinct from other things by making a small break in it. I
guess is a personal thing.

--
Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia