DMD 0.154 release

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at nospam.org
Sun Apr 16 13:48:57 PDT 2006

John C wrote:
> Derek Parnell wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 10:41:30 +1000, Georg Wrede <georg at nospam.org> wrote:
>>

>>> Let's put it this way: if a programmer insists on using a font where
>>> l,  I, 1, O, 0, etc. have the slightest chance of looking like each
>>> other,  then that programmer is not one we'd want in the D community.
>>>
>>> I promised Derek to not put down a certain programming language, but
>>> let's just say, that anyone with a history of C (or C++), can't in
>>> their  worst nightmares, imagine using a font that doesn't make a
>>> difference  between 0, O, 1, l, I,,, etc.
>>

>> ROTFLOL ... I went so far as to create a variety of Courier that
>> changed  the lowercase L to look like the lowercase T (t) but without
>> the bar, and  put a dot inside the Zero glyph to make it
>> distinguishable. If anyone  wants it just let me know.
>>

> Consolas nicely distinguishes between the letter O and the number 0. As
> do DejaVu Mono and Monaco.
>
> It's just a shame Consolas isn't widely available yet (and requires
> ClearType to do it justice - which is fine by me, I can't stand looking
> at a screen without ClearType turned on anyway).

It's not about telling folks what such a font would be. It's all (and
only) about: _either_ a programmer intuitively goes thorugh the trouble
(on whatever platform he happens to be on) of finding a font that does
distinguish the letters, or he doesn't. [Unprovoked, without a hint, or
advice, or without his teacher, or Bobdamn uncle-in-law demanding it at
gunpoint.]

---

(Ok, it's a major holiday now, so I'm trying to be more frank than on
regular week-days: I might say that, "if a person is smart enough to
roam the net enough to stumble on D, then that's a merit in itself.
Then, if that person sees the point of using D as opposed to [the number
of] competing languages[like C, C++, Java, Perl, Ruby, or Python], then
that, should be considered an equally solid merit.

Wherefrom follows:(!) we really don't have to tell _that_ guy [ehhhh,
that _person_ (after all, I'm from the Noric countries, where they let
women become President(!!!!))], which font he should use? Right?