DMD 0.154 release

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at nospam.org
Sun Apr 16 14:42:36 PDT 2006

Derek Parnell wrote:
> To me, the lowercase L and digit one (l1) were too similar, and the
> uppercase O and zero were also too similar.

Ahh, thaks for this remark.

(Only too) often we completely forget to take in consideration the fact
that every person is unique, and that from this (by the very
definition), follows that we _ALL_ have to have _unique_ demands on the
font. (As well as, actually, _all_ the other things or aspects we ever
do evaluate or make demands of.)

So, for example, one specific kind of need-of-prescription-glasses may
make it imperative to have the font have characters as unique as
possible _in_ the nort-east/south-west direction, and some other person
possibly just in nort/south.

---

"What's the _best_ programming language??" That's something I hear daily
in some discussion groups where there are a lot of teen-agers. The
groups inhabited by over-30 folks never see this question.

---

But, to revert to the original issue, I think we (actually Walter)
_have_the_right_ to *expect* from the programmer that he is able to find
a non-ambiguous font -- all on his own.

If he can't do that, then it's like giving 747 piloting lessons to a
gorilla. (I.e., sure, given enough time.... and all that crap. But
seriously, who'd ever want to be the passenger!!!)