A new lame UI toolkit for D

Jari-Matti Mäkelä jmjmak at utu.fi.invalid
Tue Apr 18 11:36:27 PDT 2006

Roberto Alsina wrote:
> =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= says...
>> Roberto Alsina wrote:
>
>>> Of course it's a much larger task, so it's not like it's going to be ready
>>> tomorrow.
>> Know that others expressed interest in a Qt-using GUI library, earlier.
>>
>> I would prefer GTK+, like MinWin uses, but Qt does *look* good at least.
>> But it has some licensing issues, in that it's either GPL or Commercial
>
> Not a problem for me, but I can see how it can be a problem for others.

I guess it's not a problem for most of us. Qt is a modern and portable
GUI library. It's certainly worth the extra money it costs for
proprietary commercial purposes. It's practically free for everything
else. Of course a lgpl-licensed alternative would be more free (for the
implementers).

I find it a bit funny that there are at least five "big" D GUI libraries
and many small ones on development now, but none of them is actually
portable enough and probably won't be for a long time. The "best"
(technically) ones seem to be Harmonia and possible QT ports. Many
toolkits use GTK+ internally, but IMO gtk+ has a tendency of being a bit
bloatware.

Now that D desperately needs some killer apps to become the next best
thing since sliced bread, would it be a lot better for the community to
concentrate on 2-3 best toolkits and make them as good as possible?

Jari-Matti