DMD 0.154 release

antonio antonio at abrevia.net
Fri Apr 21 15:48:32 PDT 2006

Walter Bright escribió:
> pragma wrote:
>> In article <e1jeql$2vcl$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...
>>> Had to do an update since --gc-sections broke exception handling.
>>>
>>> Also, 'I' and 'l' integer suffixes are deprecated, because in many
>>> fonts they are indistinguishable from each other and from '1'.
>>>
>>> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/changelog.html
>>
>> You're not kidding.  I found it somewhat humorous that the linked page
>> exhibits
>> the very problem you're citing:
>>
>> * Numeric suffix '|' now deprecated, use 'L' instead.
>> * Floating point suffix '|' now deprecated, use 'i' instead.
>
> Yup. I got this idea from the JSF document on C++ coding standards. I've
> also wondered about disallowing single letter declarations when those
> letters are lower case l, upper case I, or upper case O, or if that is
> going too far.

It's, basically, an absurd.

When someone has font problems has to change the editor, the font, the
coloring rules or the coding rules... this is not a job to be done by
the compiler.
I can't understand why you are introducing in the compiler this kind of
limitatios... Why not deprecate some structured techniques because
people has 14 ich screens?.  Example:
	More than 80 characters in one line is a deprecated functionality
	Names are limited to 11 chars because incopatibility with old informix
versions.

Walter.
There is time to close version 1.0 ... there is really important things
to do inmediatelly (like a standard D complete debugger)... stop doing
absurd thinks and help us to defend in our companies the use of the D
programming language.  I feel really awake when I read things like the
"l" naming problem...

Thank you and sorry for my english.

Antonio