ANNOUNCEMENT: GNU-D opens up shop

Gabe McArthur Gabe_member at pathlink.com
Fri Apr 28 15:11:20 PDT 2006

You may remember me from another post I made a couple of days ago on the main D
thread site, regarding the state of the libraries and the focus of the language.
I read your responses -- some were positive, others less so -- and I sat around
and thought carefully about what everyone had to say.  I was concerned that I
had really made myself look like a fool, but then I thought, if you don't risk
looking like a fool, then you haven't really tried to do anything.  I was also
afraid that I had put people off by my (perhaps overly) stringent critiques, or
that people wouldn't be interested in joining a group devoted to the ideals of
the GNU.  But, as I was reading through the internet on the differenes between
'free' and 'open-source' software, I came across an article by Richard Stallman
at http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/opensources/book/stallman.html.  From reading
that article, I've come to the conclusion that somebody needs to step up to the
plate and provide those of us in the community who like D, a place to organize
and develop free solutions to D's problems.  I thought that I might be one of
the first of those people.

So, here it is!  I've created the basic (and quite ugly) site for the new
gnu-d.org site.  I hope to have a lot of people participating in this new
movement, so I'll be creating Wikis, Trac sites for GNU-D projects (including
the GDC, I think), SVN annonymous access for checkouts, customizable project
homepages, etc.  As people become involved, of course, they will be given
check-in/versioning rights to repositories and management over their own project
sites.  I will be putting up a wiki in the next couple of days outlining what I
feel our first steps should be.  For instance, as to the issue of liscenses, I
think it best to use the LGPL for the majority of our libraries and the GPL for
our main projects (gdc, a build mechanism, an IDE).

If you have something that you'd like to email me about, please do so: gnu.for.d
AT gmail.com.  I look forward to working with the community to make building,
maintaining, and working with D a joy that everyone can share in.

'If you organize it...they will come'

Salud!
Gabe McArthur