ANNOUNCEMENT: GNU-D opens up shop

kris foo at bar.com
Fri Apr 28 16:10:18 PDT 2006

Gabe McArthur wrote:
>>ach ... I thought perhaps you were serious about helping for a moment.
>>
>>Have a trout ... courtesy of dsource.org :)
>

> Realize this: dsource is a collection of disparate tools and vague/nebulous
> repositories.  I'm talking about conformity and organization.  Standardized
> libraries.

If you actually take a look around, you'd find that such things have
been under way for quite a long time.

A compiler that works in conjunction with other tools.  A debugger
> (GDB).  Everything can be organized as one cohesive whole.  This is so that as
> the libraries grow and the compiler becomes better, the threshold for people
> everywhere to work with D becomes lower.  Further, it will work off a standard
> development model, where the community can move and contribute much more quickly
> than any one person.  Walter is a great guy with a fantastic vision, but he's
> just one man, and his output can't really compete with a group of organized
> volunteers.

Yes, we've been trying to get full debug support (from the compiler)
for, er, a couple of years or more. GDB currently works alongside GDC,
with symbol demangling and so on. Sure, it could be better.

However, you clearly imply there is no such "organized group of
volunteers". This shows a certain ignorance in the matter.

> As to the corporate angle, that's why the libraries should be liscensed under
> the LGPL, as that permit commercial code to link to the libraries without
> necessarily forcing them to disperse their own code.  Take a look at Mono for
> crying out loud.  Their runtime and compiler are both GPL.  And that's not even
> necessarily to say that all libraries MUST be LGPL.  The community can decide as
> to whether we can let other compatable liscenses into the mix (perhaps the MIT
> or BSD liscenses).

:-D

As I understand it, all the code on dsource.org is completely "OPEN". No
viral licenses. That's what the D community, thus far, has chosen to do
... we feel that's better for "the corporate angle" you mention

[snip]

BTW: firing up some rabid GPL/LGPL site to compete with dsource.org
seems like an attempt to /split/ the community, rather than coalesce it.
Perhaps you'd care to support dsource instead?