Professor Automaton's Cruel Legume Device

Jarrett Billingsley kb3ctd2 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 28 20:10:32 PDT 2006

<mclysenk at mtu.edu> wrote in message news:e2r9ic$2ta6$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
> Well, the school semester is almost over and most of my projects are
> getting
> wrapped up.  I figured I should post the results of my team software
> project.
>
> http://www.csl.mtu.edu/cs3141/project/group2/www/index.html
>
> It is written entirely in D, using Derelict, SDL and SDL mixer.  The
> gameplay is
> similar to Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine or Puyo Puyo.
>
> Throughout the project, we extensively used contract programming and
> unittests.
> As a result, we finished our project ahead of schedule and with fewer
> major bugs
> than any of the other teams.  I would like to say that D directly improved
> the
> productivity and success of our project.
>
> You can see some of the other projects here:
> http://www.csl.mtu.edu/cs3141/www/Home.html
>
> Any feedback at all would be appreciated.
>
> -Mikola Lysenko

Oh, man, how nostalgic.. one of my favorite games for the genesis, and with
MOD music!

The graphics aren't much to look at, but this is the result of too many
programmers and not enough graphics artists - been there before ;)

The gameplay feels pretty solid, though there's a bit of a hiccup every
minute or so.  Don't know if this is because of something in the game timing
or because of the GC collecting.  I think it might have been the GC, because
as time went on, the program continued to use more and more memory, until it
got to almot 80MB and started hiccupping every minute or two.  Thinking
you've got some kind of leak (not catastrophic, thanks to the GC, but still
not something you want in a game!).

Would be great to see the source!