ANNOUNCEMENT: GNU-D opens up shop

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Fri Apr 28 23:08:17 PDT 2006

Kyle Furlong wrote:
> I think we can reasonably say... TROLL ALERT. Everyone, for Bob's sake,
> just go to www.dsource.org, pick a project or start your own, and get to
> work.

Gabe isn't a troll. I've never known a troll to purchase a domain name
and set up a web site on it for that purpose: http://www.gnu-d.org

I do think he's enthusiastic, and that's great! It's good for any
community to have enthusiastic new members with ideas, especially if
those ideas are disruptive. We should always be ready to reexamine our
assumptions about what we're doing to make sure we're not deluding
ourselves or overlooking the obvious.

For example, Gabe believes there is something wrong with the licensing
for D, something that the GPL or LGPL would fix. I don't understand
this, as the front end is GPL, gdc is fully GPL, and Phobos is either
public domain or a far less restrictive license than even LGPL. I saw a
similar comment on Digg. So something is giving the impression that D
has a restrictive license.

I want to find out what that is, and fix it.

He's proposed establishing a wiki for D. There are already several
(listed on http://www.digitalmars.com/d/dlinks.html). If those are
inadequate, I want to know why.

I think he's overlooked Dsource. That's probably my fault, as the link
to it is buried. I've now put a link to it on the front page.

Some of his comments are spot on, like the documentation being not good
enough.

Gabe can be a valuable contributor. I hope he sticks around and helps
out where his interests lead him.