ANNOUNCEMENT: GNU-D opens up shop

Don Clugston dac at nospam.com.au
Sat Apr 29 02:23:32 PDT 2006

Gabe McArthur wrote:
> [...]
>
> I haven't really overlooked dsource.org.  In fact I've been going over it quite
> a bit.  I really like what dsource is trying to accomplish, and I'm not trying
> to overshadow them or detract from what they are doing.  Instead, I want to put
> a spotlight on a problem in a way that the relatively loose collection of
> libraries on dsource simply doesn't address -- namely, bringing many people
> together around one project -- a project who's sole focus is usability.
>
> Frankly, I think you're all pretty fantastic for working so hard on D -- it's a
> labor of love for many of you and you should feel exceptionally proud.  You are
> all competent professionals that love to explore new avenues and work towards
> making D a better language.
>
> However, for everyone else out there -- everyone who isn't a born programmer --
> I feel that what D really needs is an entry-level configuration for would-be D
> hackers: something that 'just works'.  Look at Java and Mono -- these
> languages/libraries aren't just succeeding because they have great communities
> or prolific resources -- they're succeeding because they package together good
> tools, inteligent ideas, huge libraries, and wonderful documentation into one
> place.  And they live by setting project goals!  Everybody's contributions are
> being fed back into one location, one repository, one central nexus of talent
> and development.  In this sense, one might consider dsource a wonderful
> kaliedescope of talent and libraries, but what is probalby needed is a laser: a
> focus and direction to the whole project with mesurable goals and specific
> timelines.  (You can see from the current development of the gcd, things seem to
> be somewhat in the air in terms of maintaining contact and getting people
> organized.)
>
> As for the liscensing issue, well, I came to the LGPL and GPL after looking
> through some of the dsource libraries and wondering at some of the liscenses
> (Ares, I discovered after questioning, should be under a kind of BSD liscense).
> I don't want there to be any question about the status of the gnu-d.org library.
> I really want people to feel that they can take what gets put up and do whatever
> they want with it, as long as they realize that the code isn't a personal right
> but a public ownership best served by having everyone involved.  Besides, it
> isn't necessarily handed down from on high that everything has to be under the
> LGPL (though the core library probably should be), as the community may decide
> that the MIT or BSD liscense will be sufficient in certain circumstances.  But,
> there again is part of my point: put a laser beam focus on what needs to be done
> and do that one thing well -- as a community.
>
> And, just as an aside, I would like to say that just as many people here are
> disturbed by the power of the GPL, there are many, many other people in the
> world who hack every day under the ideal of free software.

Personally, I'm OK with the GPL, when appropriate. (For example, I think
it makes sense for an IDE to be under a GPL license). However, I'm much
more disturbed by the LGPL: I believe it's a completely inappropriate
license for libraries (in fact, inappropriate for *any* purpose).

Please make everything either public domain/BSD/MIT/zlib, or GPL, or
commercial closed source.

Otherwise, I think it makes a lot of sense to have a site dedicated to a
  unified GDC package.

  It's these dedicated