ANNOUNCEMENT: GNU-D opens up shop

Jari-Matti Mäkelä Jari-Matti_member at pathlink.com
Sat Apr 29 06:36:28 PDT 2006

In article <e2vao5$2moc$1 at digitaldaemon.com>,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= says...

<snip>

>However, gnu-d.org would work *great* as the new GNU D Compiler site...
>
>Then it could hold the tools and documentation for compiler toolchain,
>and Dsource could continue to do what it is good at: hosting projects.
>I was thinking something like this site: http://www.gnu-pascal.org/
>
>We've already discussed packaging on the other newsgroups (d.D / D.gnu),
>but it includes the packaging for Linux, Cygwin (Win) and Darwin (Mac).
>Documentation would be how to set up the compiler and getting started ?
>
>IMHO: I think this would much be more useful than another "committee".

I agree. It's a bit annoying to search through the newsgroup archive to find
some links to the unofficial gdb/gdc patches. A central repository for GNU d
compiler tools would be more than helpful.

One thing that bothers me is that what does this GNU mean here? Do we have to
assign any copyrights to GNU? If that is not required, it will most probably
hurt the development of GNU D compiler tools. (at some point the transition
from gpl2->gpl3 will take place)

I personally have a high respect for GNU licenses and know that some people
here don't fancy this stuff that much, but I want to remind you that the main
purpose of GNU tools is to guarantee the freedom of the compilation process.
They can be used for even commercial closed source purposes.

--
Jari-Matti