GNU-D opens up shop

kris foo at bar.com
Sat Apr 29 14:51:11 PDT 2006

Hasan Aljudy wrote:
[snip]
>> That's right. But that's a different aspect altogether -- the original
>> question remains: why does building a set of cohesive libraries
>> require a new host/site? Why can't that be done on dsource.org ?
>

> That's a good question.
> I think that if you have a vision, you must be the leader in order to
> achieve that vision.
> Gabe seems to have a vision, he cannot realize that vision on
> dsource.org, there for he's trying to create a new movement among the
> community, where he is the leader that directs everyone to achieve the
> vision that he has.

Well, that's certainly a twist :)

The obvious question is: why can't this "vision" be manifested at dsource?

I mean, is dsource such an unruly place that nothing can possibly be
achieved? Are they just not worthy, over there? Or, do those currently
at dsource not have any notion of vision?

I have this "vision" of a horde of gnarly programmers milling around at
dsource like pigs at a trough <g>

And, why can't gabe answer these question himself? It's been asked a
number of times now ;)

Having a "vision" is great. And, if one needs to place said vision under
the umbrella of some doctrine, then more power to you. However, that
tends to point toward one thing, and pretty much one thing only: such a
"vision" appears to be more about ivory-towers than about a D community
or the furtherment/success of D per se. Otherwise, it could happily take
place at the "grand cathedral" of dsource. Right?

Without meaning to state the obvious, it's not as though others are not
currently working on a "unified vision" either - it's hardly a novel
idea - some of those projects even have one or two years invested thus
far. Is it too much trouble to get involved with those, perhaps? Are
they perhaps just not good enough? Is there perhaps a touch of "not
invented here" syndrome? Something else maybe?

I'd like to think these questions have some logical and rational
answers, and I'd really like to see you folks join in with the effort
under way at dsource. Lastly, I'd like to think we won't find gnu-d with
its little hand in the "open" dsource cookie-jar :)

- Kris