refined sugar (was DMD 0.165 release)

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Mon Aug 21 23:20:29 PDT 2006

Walter Bright wrote:

>> We could already do "lazy expression eval" in D, using dmd164 delegates;
>> sans new sugar. So that Lisp ability was already present?
>
> Yes. But few to nobody noticed it, and I'll posit that this bit of sugar
> will expand its use by a couple orders of magnitude.
<--snip-->

>> In this specific case, I suspect there needs to be an indication of some
>> kind, at the call site, to clearly and unambiguously communicate to a
>> person (and to the compiler) exactly what is going on.
>
> There already was (and is) in the form of { return exp; }. It's just not
> accepted - I can hardly count all the comments I get from people saying
> D didn't support this capability, and when I point out the { return exp;
> }, they frown like people do when you tell them broccoli is good for them.

I keep wondering who you hear all these things from, because the feelings I
got from staying around the IRC channel, and reading the NG, is that people
in general is overly excited by the possibilities of the previous lambda
syntax, and that it was in fact this excitement that prompted the thread on
whether the frames should be allocated on stack or heap, escape analysis,
etc.

Are you sure that such a feature will really cause an onrush if it's
delivered by an disclaimer? And how do you explain that broccoli is the
_only_ vegetable my son enjoys to eat? ;)

--
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net