New D coding convention style guide (brace formatting)

kris foo at bar.com
Tue Aug 22 01:11:08 PDT 2006

Don Clugston wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> kris wrote:
>>
>>>  ... get a flat-panel that can be rotated into portrait mode. The 24"
>>> Dell displays more lines of code (in portrait orientation) than you
>>> can shake a stick at :)
>>

>> There's never enough screen real estate (but I now can't imagine
>> working on 24 line displays like I used to).
>

> Amen. I used to print my source code out and do most of my programming
> on paper, partly for that reason.
> Actually, I think that's what most of the {} formatting wars are about.
> Anyone who feels their screen isn't big enough is never going to be
> happy with one of the styles that uses lots of vertical space.
>
> Kris, with your coding style, I always suspected your screen was much
> bigger than mine <g>.

*blush*

It's funny, but that style was initially adopted on a vt52. Old habits
die hard.

Years later (1989) when I convinced a corporation to splash out on
/secondary/ monitors with *gasp* a full-length Hercules card supporting
50 lines of text, the engineering team bought me beers for weeks
afterward. Those were appreciated more than stock options :)