Curious compile-time perversions: Raytracing

Don Clugston dac at nospam.com.au
Mon Aug 28 07:46:48 PDT 2006

Tom S wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback everyone ! I thought I'd be trout-slapped for
> doing terrible things to the compiler ;)
>

> Derek Parnell wrote:
>> Is this a compiler and an interpreter now? ;-)
>
> Funnily, programming in such a way really feels like coding in a dynamic
> language - I can dynamically introduce variables around, define
> covariant types without inheriting anything and alias stuff around as
> needed. If it wasn't for the memory requirements, meta-D could be
> considered a scripting language ;)

Yeah, it's an interesting language in itself. It seems to be a fairly
pure functional language with some unusual twists. And with alias
template parameters, it's had lazy evaluation for a long time <g>.
The thing I've found amazing is that string processing in meta-D is no
more difficult than in many other languages I've used, thanks to D's
superb array handling.