More ABI changes

Don Clugston dac at nospam.com.au
Tue Dec 5 23:31:47 PST 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> Don Clugston wrote:
>> However, even better would be to make this aspect of the ABI
>> CPU-independent.
>>
>> Define format to be:
>> e HexExponent HexSignificand  for real and imaginary FP literals.
>> c HexExponent HexSignificand HexExponent HexSignificand for complex FP
>> literals.
>
> You've given me a great idea. Why not just use the %A format? It
> portably formats the value into a machine independent hex format. All
> that needs to be done is to massage it to elide the non-identifier
> characters.

That's brilliant. It means you have automatic compression of trailing
zero bits. I guess if you strip off the "0x1.", you get rid of the
problem with the formats which use another character like "0xA." instead.
I presume it will have either the length at the front like an Lname, or
else some character as a delimiter?