More ABI changes

Don Clugston dac at nospam.com.au
Wed Dec 6 01:53:03 PST 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> Don Clugston wrote:
>> That's brilliant. It means you have automatic compression of trailing
>> zero bits. I guess if you strip off the "0x1.", you get rid of the
>> problem with the formats which use another character like "0xA." instead.
>> I presume it will have either the length at the front like an Lname,
>> or else some character as a delimiter?
>
> It doesn't need a delimiter, as it ends in a P followed by the exponent
> in decimal.

How can you tell when the exponent has ended? At least for complex
arguments, the next thing after the exponent will be the mantissa of the
next number, which could look exactly like a decimal number, so it's not
enough to just check for a non-digit character.
(If the next thing was an Lname, there'd also be consecutive ASCII
digits, but that seems to be impossible, so maybe complex numbers are
the only problem case).