rulesPlayer 0.84

Max Bolingbroke "batterseapower{no" at sp4/\\/\\}hotmail.com
Thu Dec 7 02:37:18 PST 2006

clayasaurus wrote:
> bobef wrote:
>> http://www.dsource.org/projects/rulesplayer
>>
>> some nice new stuff and some bug fixes
>> only one major problem is left - playing internet files
>> i have the feeling i've broken something though...
>
> You should definitely advertise this more, as I think it is possibly the
> best media player option for windows. :) Make sure to post the digg
> links here too.
>
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/howto-promote.html

I agree, this is a very nice frontend! I had been looking for an elegant
alternative to VLC (I can't stand its interface, and as you say, the
subtitles are horrendous): this looks to fit the bill perfectly! Thanks
a lot!

However, I'm sorry to report I have the same problem as Bill Baxter with
the brightness. Also, an irritation is that subs are about twice as fast
as they are in VLC, so they are over before the character stops speaking
(though they start at the right time): I assume I can tweak this via a
mplayer option, but I can't see one in the man page.. do you have any
thoughts?

I'm also having a problem where some subtitles that are shown in VLC are
missed in rulesPlayer: specifically chapter titles in a series of
videos. I think this occurs because there is also text being shown at
the same time like "Episode 35" (appearing above chapter titles on the
screen), and subtitles after the first are ignored. However, this is
fine for most video, where only one person speaks at a time.

Thanks again for this very nice player :-)

Max