New web interface to forums

Thu Dec 7 13:10:58 PST 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> Hasan Aljudy wrote:
>> First impression: much better than the old one, some what slick.
>>
>> I Just noticed that some threads are scrambled .. or broken into
>> multiple threads.
>
> Yeah, I noticed that too.

I think I know why this happens.
The newsgroup overview shows only the N most recent posts (25 by
default) and seems to first get those posts and _then_ sort them by
thread. This results in subthreads whose common 'ancestor' post is not
in the N most recent posts getting split up.
This may look a bit weird, but I think it makes sense: who wants to get
a 500 post thread back because a single post was added?

Also, note that the thread overview in below the text of a post seems to
show the entire thread.