DMD 0.177 release

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 13 04:39:51 PST 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> Stewart Gordon wrote:
>> Walter Bright wrote:
>>> I don't think that'll work. He'll wind up being forced to set all the
>>> fields.
>> Doesn't follow - there might not be any to set other than those that are
>> an inherent part of the assignment operation.
>
> But if there *are* other fields that shouldn't be set, a rule to
> preclude those cases would be a problem.

Exactly.  *If* there are other fields that shouldn't be set.  Do you
even understand a word of what Chris is proposing?

The programmer would have a choice - opAssign returning void to modify
in-place the object referenced by the lvalue, or returning a new object
that will be assigned to the lvalue.  What is this precluding?

Stewart.