PDF verssion of D manuals

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Thu Dec 14 17:57:10 PST 2006

Frits van Bommel wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> BCS wrote:
>>> The problem for tables is that TeX defines tables sizes with a syntax
>>> like this
>>>
>>> \begin{table}[llll]
>>>     % a table with 4 col.
>>> \end{table}
>>>
>>> the string that needs to be inserted into the template is the
>>> sequence of "l", for which there needs to be one for each col. Some
>>> sort of translation from "4" to "llll" is needed.
>>
>> I'm pretty certain you could write a TeX macro to do that.  Don't ask
>> me how though.  :-)  Then DDoc macro would spit out something like
>> \some_els{4}, which would then be processed by a LaTeX macro into 'llll'.
>
> Ooh, using TeX instead of DDoc for this is something I hadn't
> considered. Too bad I suck at TeX beyond basic markup :(.
>
>> Supposedly TeX is a Turing complete programming language, so it should
>> be possible.  Just maybe not fun.
>
> It only needs to be done once though...
> Any TeX gurus in this newsgroup?

I spent a few minutes searching the web (yet again) for decent
documentation on writing TeX/LaTeX macros, and (yet again) came up with
nothing useful.  The only book I have (Lamport's LaTeX book) is also
similarly useless.

That's why I say it may be easier in the end to just go to an external
language.  At least I know I could whip up something in Python that
would take me less time to do that getting that one dumb macro working
in TeX.  :-)

--bb