Pyd support for Linux

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Sun Dec 17 19:02:21 PST 2006

Kirk McDonald wrote:
> With a bit of fiddling, I have gotten Pyd working on Linux using GDC 0.20.
>
> http://pyd.dsource.org/
>
> SVN repository:
> http://svn.dsource.org/projects/pyd/trunk
>
> Some notes:
>
> (1) StackThreads doesn't work on GDC. Therefore, Pyd's support for
> automatically wrapping opApply doesn't work on Linux. I had already
> wrapped all of the uses of StackThreads in some version statements, so
> it was a simple matter to tell CeleriD to just not use StackThreads when
> compiling with GDC.
>
> (2) Whenever I link an .so together using GDC, it gives me this warning:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: warning: creating a DT_TEXTREL in object.
>
> I have no idea what this means, and the resulting .so works fine, but
> it's still ominous. Anyone have any insight?
>
> (3) GDC doesn't support using the .ptr property of delegates as an
> lvalue (and, presumably, the .funcptr property, though I haven't tried
> it). Using .ptr and .funcptr as lvalues is useful when emulating
> pointers to member functions (as Pyd does). I have fallen back on the
> old struct/union trick for now.

Please report these issues with gdc in bugzilla so that they can be
fixed or at least documented.  I'm not sure how carefully david reads
the non-D.gnu newsgroups and regardless, just a good habit... :)

The StackThreads issue is unclear.. it could be gdc but might well be
stackthreads itself.

Thanks and good work,
Brad