Announcing a new library

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Sun Dec 31 17:42:12 PST 2006

It is our pleasure to announce the existence of a new application
library named Tango.  Originally born from discussions about how to
better integrate Mango and Ares, Tango has since grown substantially in
scope, design, and participation to something that truly outshines its
humble beginnings.  More than a simple collection of tools, it is our
belief that Tango is a framework on top of which to build robust and
extensible D libraries and applications.  And as we feel the
availability of solid and extensive documentation represents a prime
factor in library accessibility, Tango features a robust and growing set
of documentation, examples, and tutorials.  A beta code release will
follow shortly after the D 1.0 milestone, but in the interim here is an
outline of some of its features:

* Modularity.  The compiler runtime and garbage collector implementation
may be chosen at link-time.
* Atomic mark/sweep garbage collection by default, with a malloc-based
stub allocator to serve as an example for future development.
* User interception of important language and system-level errors and
events.
* Various levels of concurrency, including process control, kernel
threads, and fibers (stack threads).
* A robust IO framework based on the Mango design.
* An array of mathematics routines ranging from low-level IEEE interop.
to high-level statistics and numerics.
* A networking model that is growing to encompass some of the most
common IO designs and network protocols.
* Standard C, POSIX, and system API support.
* Basic text processing, a container package, logging facilities, and more.

Tango has been tested with both DMD and GDC on Windows, Linux, and
MacOSX for the x86 and PPC architectures.

A selection of contributors include:

Alexander Panek
Anders F. Björklund
Brad Anderson