[Flame On]Re: DMD 0.148 release

Kyle Furlong kylefurlong at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 16:42:39 PST 2006

Georg Wrede wrote:

> This is getting hilarious...
>

> Ivan Senji wrote:
>> Georg Wrede wrote:
>>
>>> Well, then we could skip the logical operators, right? No more && or
>>
>> What? Did you here this correctly? You are saying remove logical
>> operators (the operators working on booleans in theory)?
>>
>> How would they become obsolete? They would get a meaning with true
>> booleans.
>
> If Booleans are only 0 or 1, then & and | suffice. && and || become
> useless, and we can delete them from the compiler sources.
>
> Not to mention the lots of ink we could save!
>
>> I must say that i don't have a clue what is the result of 17 && 301?
>
> I have no problem believing that's true.
>
>>> And if booleans have to only be 0 or 1, then a whole lot of
>>> unnecessary conversions would be happening all over the place. Forget
>>> D speed.
>>
>> No they don't. They can be anything they wan't to be. But the compiler
>> should hide that from me and convince me I live in a world of Boolean
>> algebra.
>
> Since I've just promised not to recommend a certain language from
> Redmond, maybe I could recommend some substance?
>
>>> We've all had our fights with C, C++, and other related languages.
>>> But honestly, how many of us can confess to having problems with
>>> logical values?
>>
>> I have problems with bools. I can't sleep at night if they are ints ;)
>
> Oh. Maybe then a prescription substance?

Georg, reading your posts on this NG has given me great insight into the breadth of your knowledge and the depth of your wisdom.
Your sarcasm is always poigniant and appropo. Your jibes at your fellow NG's always in good taste. And your blind cheerleading
and bandwagoning the height of prudence and solid judgement. Keep up the good work!